Planning key in big productions

Madelyn Glenn
Cast members Alexa Grubb, 11, Makenna Brodberick, 11, Olivia Brenner, 11, and Amara Amadi, 10, share a laugh while learning the choreography for “She’s in Love” during rehearsal.

After the success of last year’s “Seussical the Musical,” the fine arts department knew they wanted to continue putting on musicals. This year, the department is performing “The Little Mermaid” on Jan. 18-20.

“We wanted to pick something that we knew we would have the people,” said technical director Courtney Neuwirth, “and would draw the community in. We knew the movie was coming out earlier this year and we all thought it would be fun.”

Director Brandi Perkins, who is in her first year at Kingwood Park, is excited to work on her first musical in eight years with the entire fine arts department. Students from orchestra, band, dance, choir, art club and theater are involved in the production.

“Coordinating eight adults and then 50 students is quite the undertaking,” Perkins said. “Scheduling is a nightmare. Everybody has something they need to be doing. They are busy and this is not their only commitment. That includes not only the students but the adults.” 

The leaders of each department sat down and broke the preparation into sections.

]When auditions began in November, the cast worked with vocal director Christine Donley. Students worked as a cast or in solo groups to learn music. After Thanksgiving break, students started learning the choreography that the dance 1-4 classes had created.  All the while, “The Little Mermaid” tech crew has worked on lighting and sound.

The entire company wants to reach the community. One of the ways they’re doing that is by inviting 500 elementary school students to come to a special showing before the show opens. 

“It’s ‘The Little Mermaid’ and when people hear ‘The Little Mermaid,’ they have a picture in their head,” Neuwirth said. “My job is to say OK, I know what you think you know about this but here’s what we’re gonna do and still be able to connect with people.”