KPIPE finds success with murder-mystery performance

Jacob Valcarce
Senior Jace Rodriguez practices the marimba during KPIPE practice in the spring.

The Kingwood Park Indoor Percussion Ensemble, better known as KPIPE, recently competed at their area competition to cap off another strong season. 

KPIPE is a group in band program that puts a primary focus on the percussion section after the football season. KPIPE involves visual effects that create a show with an abundance of tiny details sprinkled throughout it. The effects range from the performers staring the audience down to one of the performers screaming in the middle of the show after one of the characters dies. 

I like the fact that I scream in the show, it catches people off guard,” sophomore Selva Alkhalil said. 

This season was KPIPE’s second year of returning to KPark after a four-year hiatus. Band director Bre Osbourn decided to bring the program back last year. 

“Creating shows for kids is my favorite part of my job,” Osbourn said. 

This year, KPIPE’s show was based on the board game Clue, Pink Panther and Inspector Gadget. Their show, called Whodunnit, involved the players discovering a dead body and trying to figure out the killer. The unique part about their show, however, is the fact that in between each competition they changed who the killer was – making it a surprise even to people who might have seen the show before. 

“I was excited to get my turn and have the spotlight be on me,” senior Adriano Rendon said. 

KPIPE competed in numerous competitions this season improving their score with every performance. The final performance KPIPE competed in this year earned them 8th place at Area, which was only two places short of advancing to State. 

“A lot of people wanted it, I wanted to win at State,” senior Carsten Nelson said.