Theater’s first show helps ease transition with new director

Junior+Mackenzie+Wilkey+performs+a+scene+in+Love%2FSick+during+a+dress+rehearsal+in+September.+
Cara Helton
Junior Mackenzie Wilkey performs a scene in “Love/Sick” during a dress rehearsal in September.

After a month of preparation, the varsity theater department performed their first production of the year “Love/Sick” on Sept. 14-16. The play consisted of multiple short scenes depicting the different stages of a relationship.

During the audition process, the actors read two or three scenes with a partner without any sort of preparation.

“I think it was exciting getting to see everyone as they got cast because I can envision them in a specific role and it was cool seeing that play out whenever we started doing rehearsals,” junior Mackenzie Wilkey said. 

The production was performed on the black box stage, requiring all the set pieces to be movable and interchangeable. The tech crew created many pieces for this set, including a toilet on wheels, a giant rolling shelf and a door. During each transition, pieces would be taken on and off to set the scene.

“Trying to build a new door,” sophomore Katie Tims said, “we didn’t have one that was on wheels so we had to build our own.”

Since theater director Brandi Perkins is in her first year directing at Kingwood Park, she didn’t know what to expect. Perkins chose “Love/Sick” based on a suggestion from assistant theater director Courtney Neuwirth. Perkins had worked on this show before and was familiar with the set and lighting. Neuwirth, having worked with the cast before, knew this show would showcase their strengths.

“It was a group I hadn’t worked with before and they are incredibly talented,” Perkins said. “It was a very fun rehearsal process. I really really enjoyed it.”