Latin American culture to be celebrated Thursday

Shelby Townsend
Senior Cas Magee runs a face painting station during last year’s Spanish Honor Society party. This year, the Art Honor Society will be offering face painting again. Attendees will also get a meal, learn about Latin American countries and celebrate with music.

This year’s Spanish honor society dance is called Viajando por Latino América (Traveling through Latin America). The dance is focused on different countries in Latin America. Each country represented will have their own table set up with information. 

The Spanish Honor Society has worked alongside the Spanish Club to put the dance together.

The countries represented this year include Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, Panama, El Salvador, Venezuela, Colombia, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic. Texas will also have a table.

“We picked countries that represent a lot of the members in the club and honor society,” said senior Leah Torres, co-president of the Spanish Honor Society. “We just wanted to showcase more than just Mexico.” 

The dance will be held in the small gym on on Thursday during Flex Hour. Tickets for the dance are $5 with proceeds going toward the Spanish Honor Society. Art Honor Society will also be doing face painting during the party. 

“We’re having students work a lot more collaboratively,” Torres said. “They’re in groups in charge of their own table that represent the country. Some students aren’t necessarily from the country, but they’re doing research to find information that will represent the country well.”

There will be food and a place to dance for everybody who attends the event. The dance is open for anybody who buys a ticket.  

“I want people to just feel relaxed and go there and join, maybe find something they didn’t know about a specific country,” said Eileen Quinoñes, advisor of Spanish Honor Society. “At my table for Puerto Rico, I hope they find some information or some nice things that they didn’t know about Puerto Rico. And the same thing with El Salvador or Argentina or Panama or Mexico.”